8.14.2004

Brave New Yarn

I woke up early this morning, and started the day by joining Project Kool-Aid, where the participants post their progress and creativity with Kool-Aid dyed yarn. I had never dyed yarn before, and I was really looking forward to it after I picked up the skeins of wool on clearance a few weeks ago!

After buying my supplies (32 packets of mix, and a baster), I started on the project!
(These are abbreviated steps--please check here for the full directions!)



Wind 'em up...


...into hanks...


...and put into a large stainless steel pot and soak for 20-30 minutes...


...and prepare your dye mix (these are Strawberry Lemonade and Lemon Lime).


Put yarn in pot and stir immediately and watch it change colors!


Here is the first skein (drying phase)


... and here is all of the first batch (2 8 oz. skeins)...


... and I was a little more experimental with the second batch.


Overall, I am really happy with how they turned out! My favorites are the purples and the reddish pinks. Those colors take the dye best. My little orange/yellow/green creation was completely experimental... I am still not decided whether I like it. I tried some different techniques, like gradation, which may be evident in the above pictures. I like the effect. If you want to know what flavors (colors) I used, drop me a line, and I will try to remember! :)

I still have one and a half skeins that I will dye in the near future. I want to pick up a blue color (I could not find one at Safeway!) and make at least two hanks with that.

I plan to make some felted things with these revitalized yarns--but I don't know what yet. Anyone have an especially great felted item to tell me about?